VENISON BURGER recipe
Published 17th August 2017
Ronnie's Special Burger Pattie
8 venison or beef burgers (the best ones come from your local butcher or venison farmer)
4 large waxy potatoes (peeled and grated)
One large bag of washed spinach
100g flaked almonds
50g Cotehill Red Cheese (grated)
Good drizzle of Ownsworth's Rapeseed Oil
Salt and pepper
A little water
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Put all the pesto ingredients into a large blender and pulse to make a smooth, thick paste (add a little extra drizzle of rapeseed oil if required).
3. Peel and grate 4 large waxy potatoes into a colander and rinse the starch out under a running cold tap. Squeeze the excess water out of the potatoes between sheets of kitchen roll and set aside.
4. Lightly oil a large baking sheet and begin to assemble your special burger patties.
5. Mix a little plain flour with sufficient cold water to make a flour paste (which will help "stick" your grated potato to your venison or beef burger).
Assembling your special burger pattie:
1. Spread some of your flour paste onto the top of one of your burgers, take a handful of grated potato and gently onto the burger, covering the whole surface. Place the burger onto the oiled baking sheet potato side down. Next place a spoonful of your pesto on top of the venison or beef burger (as the
2. Take another venison or beef burger, spread the top with your flour paste and top with another handful of grated potato, pressing it to cover the whole surface. Place this on top of your pesto covered pattie base but this time with the grated potato on the top.
3. Repeat the above 2 steps for the remaining patties until you have 4 towering pattie sandwiches!
4. Place the baking sheet into the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until the meat is cooked properly right to the centre of the burgers (you can check with a meat themometer if you like - internal temperature of the of the burgers should be 70 degrees C for 2 minutes) and the potato topping is golden and slightly crispy.
5. Serve with a dressed green salad.